Monday, January 10, 2022

Music Mondays: Land of Hope and Glory, by Edward Elgar and Arthur C. Benson

January 10
Land of Hope & Glory, music by Edward Elgar, 1901; words by Arthur C. Benson, 1902

This was in the top 40 list I found for 1902, and it was one of two songs performed by a woman in the list. For most of us, the melody will be familiar as the one used in graduation ceremonies (“Pomp & Circumstance” is the title). The music was originally written by Edward Elgar in 1902; these words were written by Arthur C. Benson in 1902. This piece, also known as the “Coronation Ode,” was composed by Elgar, working closely with Benson, for the coronation of Queen Victoria’s successor, Edward VII, who appreciated Elgar’s music so much that he requested this composition. I’m not going to lie - I originally assumed this was for the US, since we are so well known for our patriotism, but it makes sense that a patriotic song would be composed for a coronation. A Youtube search showed me that this is still a popular patriotic song for many Britons. Also, dates in history are not my forte, so I didn’t actually know/remember that Edward VII was crowned in 1902. This song is a good example of how current events influence popular music of the time.

I’ve decided to share a Youtube recording of this for several reasons. One is because I think it really sort of needs the full symphonic band/orchestra behind it for the full effect, and I obviously cannot do that at home. Another is that I was able to find a recording of an old record (the description says it’s actually from 1902), and I think it’s interesting for us to be able to hear what music would have sounded like on a home player in the early 1900s. Finally, being only one of two women singers on the top 40 list I found for 1902, I want to give Ms. Thornton some air time. (Check out the lovely early 1900s portrait in the video as well!) It’s also interesting to me that the two women on the list both have this operatic style of singing, even though the other piece, “Always Do as People Say You Should", is from a musical. It makes me wonder if the most socially acceptable female singing voice at that time was the operatic style, as there seems to be more variation in the male singing style.

Also, if you were so enthralled with this piece that you’d like to download it and learn it yourself, it is in the public domain and can be downloaded here: https://digitalcommons.library.umaine.edu/mmb-vp/5040/
(reference material: http://www.know-britain.com/songs/land_of_hope_and_glory.html)
(Here’s the top 40 for 1902 again: https://playback.fm/year/1902)



No comments:

Post a Comment